The MCP23017-E/SP is an integrated circuit (IC) manufactured by Microchip Technology Inc. It is a popular and widely used 16-bit I/O expander that provides additional General Purpose Input/Output (GPIO) pins for microcontrollers and other devices. The MCP23017-E/SP is part of the MCP23xxx family of I/O expanders and offers various features and benefits for simplifying digital I/O expansion in various applications. The MCP23017-E/SP communicates with the host microcontroller using the I2C (Inter-Integrated Circuit) bus protocol. This makes it easy to interface with a wide range of microcontrollers and allows multiple MCP23017 devices to be daisy-chained on the same bus.
- Expanding I/O capabilities for microcontrollers with limited GPIO pins.
- Keypad or button interfacing for user input in various devices.
- LED driving and control in LED matrix displays or LED-based projects.
- Interface expansion for single-board computers, such as Raspberry Pi.
- General-purpose I/O expansion in various embedded systems and electronic projects.